September 28, 1918

Excerpts from September 28, 1918


My Dear Grace -

Well I am not going to write a hard luck letter this time, but just tell you of what a good time I have been haveing the past few days.

Last Monday night Mr Lucas gave a party it being his first year in France, we had a swell dinner t the Hotel Pretty, the two girls that work in the office, one French the other Mexican[?], both quite nice girls for parties but not much on business. Pat, Mr. Bickle Myself and a Irish Lass, from Dubline, and she is some girl, spoke with a Irish brogue, that is certainly appealing, and at their request, I took her home, of course you know I didn't want to, Ha! Ha!

We had the Table all trimmed up with flours, flours at each place, and eight courses chicken + etc and I believe they did have a little wine, but, the water is not fit to drink, so you can excuse that can't you

then Wed. night we all went to one of the camps to a show, a band concert, and a big dance, I did not dance, but I certainly enjoyed it, there were a lot of U.S. nursed going thro' here and they were all there, It was a wonderful sight, to see all the good U.S girls dancing with our boys and --- of --- them, and a big Regimental band furnishing the music.

Thursday night the Rev. Dr. Pyatt gave a party I will enclose his invitation also my answer this was at our Y.MCA Headquarters and we sure had a fine time, Mis Hershy the Irish girl I was speaking about was there and I believe you would like her very much and I hope you don't care if I do see her once in a while as she is a a real good girl, works with the British Y.M.C.A and I certainly like to talk to a real girl once in a while, we get lonesome for them and when I am talking to her, I ant talking to you, do you understand

This mornings papers make it look as if I might be home, with in a year of now, they are beginning to totter, and when they start it "won't take us long"...

It is quite cool out to-day, and raining as usual, I have on my B.V.D's yet, but am wearing, a dandy big heavy sweater given to me by a friend of mine in the R.C. hospital.

I drove up to a little town Friday, Mr Bickel and I and went thro several hospitals, which were just packed with mostly British fellows who had just arrived the night before, It is wonderful, Grace how these fellows bear up under their operations + etc, some of the sights I saw made me quite faint, You feel as if, if you could only stand part of the pain with them, just to help, after seeing those things it makes me wish more and more that I was situated where I could get in that personal touch with the boys, which I don't have the opportunity of doing here...

...dont worry about me likeing any one else for there is only one girl in this world for me, Lots of love

Will

P.S. On stopping at Headquarters to-day I found a letter from your Father...

to-days paper beging to show the beginning of the end, they are on the run all along the line, I hope we don't quit untill we are all over on German territory...

Your Father said you cried,d when you read about my operation, also when I had the itch now dearie, you must [not] do that, or I won't feel like telling you any thing, and I am all right, living fine, good place to sleep plenty of work, and am in much better shape than I would be at home, if I only had you, Just think dear I will be spoiled when I get home, the maid comes in opens up my bed for me every night, brings up hot water for me, shoes and puties, are all shined up every morning, so you see dear while I am here, I am quite well taken care of, But I won't be satisfied untill I can get up where things are doing, see the big guns working + etc....

Well I will close darling, I am so happy to know that I have one to love me as you do Grace, It makes every thing easier over here just to know your love for me

Will.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 17-18, 1919

February 15, 1919

September 1, 1918