August 9, 1918

Excerpts from August 9, 1918:


Somewhere in France
Same Place

My Dear Grace -

Well darling I have so much to tell you I don't now where to start in, The last few days have been very full of surprised for both Pat and I,

I heard that some of the Camp Austin Boys were going thro' so yesterday, I looked over a bunch of them and shore enough I saw Frank Tompkins, I do not think you knew him, but I did very well, for the last few years he has been Ast. Mgr. of the Griswold Hotel in Detroit...

Well day before yesterday, a gentleman Pat and I met one evening, invited us up to dinner last night, after had had talked with M-- Winslow the lady I told you about,

You see it was like this this town is quite low down, that is the business section and at night Pat and I quite often go up on the hill, were all the beautiful homes are to get a little good air, and get away from the noise    One night we stopped, in Front of the most beautiful place up there and was viewing the sights, (wonderful sight overlooking the Ocean and harbor, and he had such a beautiful yard, just wonderful just like a fairy yard Roses & Roses &, Oh I can't tell you we don't have places like it at home, Well as we were standing there, a gentleman came up out of the Roses & say good evening in perfectly good English, Well he was the man that invited us to dinner, We talked with him quite a little that evening, and I told him in a casual way, that I had met Madamosell Winslow, he invited us to come up any time we told him good night and that that was all there was to it,

But he goes and see M Winslow and we get the invitation, to dinner last night. talk about a feed,) Well Pat and I spruced all up put on our best togs and go up at 7:30, The Maid met us at the door and believe me its some mansion we were taken in to the setting Room? and in a short time in came the Mrs. she spoke English very well, and was about 45 yrs old and just a dear, we felt right at home as soon as we talked with her a few minutes we went out in the garden, Oh yes then her daughter, a young Miss about 16 yrs, two younger sons, just fine boys, and then they have 2 boys at the front. In a little while the Mr. came home and we go into dinner, great big table, all set, the finest kind of silverware cut glass and Etc. Well I won't attempt to tell you about the meal I will leave that to Pat, but we must of had 9 or 10 courses, When I sat down there were three glasses in front of my plate


well, I kinda kept my eye on the Mrs. and guess I got away with it in good shape I wish I could tell you about the meal, but I couldn't in a  week, all I can say is that it was "some feed" after dinner we went into the sitting Room again, and had cigars, and soon in came the Maid with Coffee and liqueurs, well I can drink coffee any old time over here so I had coffee and liqueurs and tigers we just had a fine visit, they were so nice, I just fell in love with the whole family, Well after we got thro' with Coffee, Back came the Maid and we had some tea and wine, Did not leave until 10:30, "War is H--" I can not tell you how we felt Grace, as it was all so wonderful and I believe the most beautiful place...

Sunday A.M.

Found the boys all waiting for us all shaved up and fixed up, There were 24 or 25 of us all in one tent all talking at once We had cigars chocolate cigarettes & Etc the boy are all looking fine and seem quite anxious to get up and at them, I guess they will have to hurry or they wont be able to catch the Germans...

Now here comes the sad fact of it I have been up to a Y M C. A Hut two or Three times that is in a beautiful country place near a R.C. Hospital, The man that is in charge of it, has been transferred to the Army as chaplin, and all the boys put in a petition for me to come up there in his place. At one time I would of like dot of gone, but things are going along so good here now, just getting very thing to working fine, and I hate to leave, it also means leaving Pat, But they are a fine bunch of fellows, they want more, and Mr. Pol our Div. Src here, thinks I am the only fellow that could make a sucess of it out of this bunch, so I guess they are going to send me about 12 mi North of here, right on the Ocean and just a beautiful Place, one of the finest places in France But I do not want to leave Pat, and I am going to put up a big kick before, I load in my trunks with the Truck.

The boys all say I am looking the best they every saw me look in my life, So I guess I am getting along all right, don't you think? My I was glad to get those pictures you sent I look at them all the time, when I sit here writing...

Hope this will find you all O.K. and your Auto troubles all over, and plenty of money..

Lots of love, as I love you more each day,

Will


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 17-18, 1919

February 15, 1919

September 1, 1918