September 1, 1918


With his September 1 letter, will enclosed a copy of a letter subscribing Grace to The Stars and Stripes for six months in which he also submitted an unknown piece of news for potential inclusion in that newspaper.


Excerpts from September 1, 1918:

My Dear Grace -

Sunday the first day of Sept. my time does fly doesn't it, has it seemed long to you dear,? When I think of you, it does seem long, but I have been so busy since I left home that it seems quite short, when I think of all the things I have done

It is quite cool here to day, begins to act like fall, think I will put on little heavy underware soon, In fact I haven't been out of the house this afternoon on account of its not begin warm, but Pat and I are going for a walk soon...

This division of the Y M C A is growing by leaps and bounds now days we get several new sectors every day, It has been quite nice for Pat and I that we were one of the first ones in this Div. as we can see how it has grown

I see by the papers dearie that you will not be able to send much of a Xmas Present well don't let that bother you, just send me a letter full of love from start to finish and I will be as happy as if you sent me a new automobile...

I don't think Dear, I am writing as often as I did I try to write about 3 times a week, I used to write oftener than that, but that was when things were happening more often

Won't Mrs Van Epps take care of Count for you, or call up Perry Warner see what he says, I will drop him a line, I think perhaps we should pay at least $2 a Month for his keep as he eats so much

Pat and I are likeing the French people better every day they do a lot of things that, us folks back home should do, and Pat and I are going to set the fashion when we get back.

I suppose you see that the Huns are on their way back home, We all feel over here Grace that the job should be done and done right now that we are over here, and we only hope that the people back home will let this army of boys over here have the pleasure of licking the dirty germans untill they holler they have had enough, its up t the people back there to stick with the boys over here and give them a chance to finish it right,

We are all afraid the german proporganda back home will start "Peace talk" before we have done the job as it should be, This German menace put down for ever

Well dearie, I wish I could see you just  for one minute, just to look into your Eyes, But I mustn't talk or write about it.

When are you going to send me a picture, that you were going to have taken?

My pen is finished, so I guess I had better quit for this time


Have some one oil my gun and clean it again before you go to Detroit

As ever

only more love

Will








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 17-18, 1919

February 15, 1919