October 3, 1918

Excerpts from October 3, 1918


My Dear Grace -

I guest this has been the longest, I have gone with out writeing to you, I think I wrote last Sunday just a week, altho I might of written Tuesday. But I have seen so busy this week, and the time has gone so fast, I do not know where the week has gone too, I think this is the hardest week of work I have put in, I have been so tired at night, I just can't do a thing I got to bed and get up in the A. M. feeling fine and anxious to get at it again.

In a way it is nice to be so busy as I don't have time to think of home and you My wish was when I came over to be busy and I certainly have my wish.

I have a new warehouse now but have not had time to get moved into it. While I will be sorry to move away from Pat. I will be glad to move away from Lucas, as he certainly has got the swell head right, of corse he does not have any thing to - do with me now, as I am directly under Mr Polk. the Div. Sec. and he is a Prince, I like him very much So I hardly every speak to Lucas. My warehouse will be up town more than the one in fact right in the center of the town, have a new stenographer coming, and a new Pierce-Arrow Truck and a driver, also another man to help a 'Y' man, thern we have our laborers, so I guess in time things will work out so I won't have to do the whole D business...

It begins to look now dear, as if the war was on its last legs, Turkey. as quit and I guess Austria Hungary, all we have to do is finish the Huns, and "it won't take us long" then you will know that I will take the long. long. trail back to you" when my year is finished, No doubt in some of your letters that are coming, you are telling me about wheather you would like to come to France, or not, after the war, and whether you want me to stay, Sometimes, I think if I could have you I could stand it a year or so over here then again I feel that I can't get home to quick after things are over...

Last Thursday night Pat and I quit early, and I was so tired I didn't know which way was up but, we got squared away and at 7:30 went to dinner to the people that I sent you the invitation of in my last letter... There were two of the swellest girls there, one looked quite like our American girls, but she was all French, but they all spoke English very good both of these girls are nursed in different Hospitals all of the best girls are nurses, and just think Grace Four years of it, they have seen so much death suffering, pain + etc...

You can't realize Grace what a pleasure it is to be invited to homes like that, and know these wonderful people who have suffered for four years as they have,to talk with them, and see the beautiful side of their home life, You feel so much different towards them, you just can;t help but love them...

Then you see the other class, the sleeping guys around the streets, perhaps a great many are wounded or unfit, gassed, or something but you don't think of that, when they are working for you, or in the way of a car they don't seem to have life enough to move you get so D mad, they do evry thing but get out of the way, of corse all of the best are at the front, we see a great many that are home on leave, and they are fine fellows we like them and we again feel that admiration they have for the US. and the U.S boys, there certainly is two distinct classes. The one you just can't help but love, the other you just can't help but despise

I have been told to take a vacation for a week as I have it coming, But I feel it would be just like me leaving the store on Saturday when we had a sale on, so I am sticking untill things let up a little, If I quit the whole thing quits as far as supplies are concerned to the different camps...

 If I don't get a chance to go to the front, now I can feel that it is because I have worked to hard here and have made a place that they don't want me to get out of.

I could of taken the Hotel job. but, I know that another guy out here, would not be able to get the stuff out, unless they get someone different than is in this Div. now, and I would rather stay here, where I think I am worth more to the U. as that is what I came over for

Don't never think Grace, that we have laid down on account of this peace talk. I just wish dear you could see, the things that I have seen just since I started writing this letter. The Old Kaiser don't want to think. that his Bluff of peace, is making the U.S let up... he hasn't got any more show than a snowball in H....

...I intended to enclose a piece of my new uniform and after I got the other letter written I found it I had forgotten to put it in or tell you about it, I was getting so I looked like a tramp I had two holes in the seat of my pants and my coat was ripped, so I just got to get a new uniform, I am enclosing sample 269 Fcs. the U. will pay 250 Fcs. so I will get out of it quite cheap, but I have got to have a lot of new stuff, so dearie your Xmas will be pretty small I am afraid, But just remember that what ever little thing I do send that there is tons and tons of love gone with it...

Yours

Will





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 17-18, 1919

February 15, 1919

September 1, 1918