October 4, 1918

Excerpts from October 4, 1918


My Dear Grace

I am a little at sea in regard to where to send my letters, Det. or T. City, the last letter I received you were not yet sure sure when you would go to Det...

Things are going along just the same over her,e more work every Month, I am getting supplies better now, after my trip to Paris I will enclose a copy of the business I have done for the last four Months, also the business done in April, just before I came to this base, you will see that it has encreased by leaps and bounds and when you figure that one man was taking care of it in April, and I am still handling it alone, with the help of one of the girls part of the time you can see that I am not loafing on the job.

I order thease goods from different parts of France, in car lots, put them in the warehouse, check every thing, see that they are billed to me properly, at the right price + etc, then I send them out to the different camps by our Truck or a U.S trucks go with the goods see that they are delivered properly of corse I have men to handle every thing most of the time but once in a while, I drive the truck, or help with the goods if we are very busy, I generally notice it the next day, where I was operated but, sometimes I think if I could get to working it might help heal that up...

Well dearie I don't know what to do about the orphans, there are lots of them here, I was up to a orphanage about a week ago, and the dear little kids with out fathers or mothers, just climb all over you, the French have a very loveing disposition, any way and the kids, will just hang on to you, all over, Mr. Bickle and I had about ten all of us we couldn't get rid of them, But with one or two exceptions, I didn't like the looks of them, for mine, I imagine they were from French peasants, while they might work out all right in the long run with the right kind of environment, Well I guess I am to particular, I certainly feel sorry for them, But I seem to want one that would be more like ours would of been, and I suppose I never will find one...

Pat brought up a dozen bottles of U.S. beer that he got off of one of the boats last night, and we each had a bottle, seemed just like home, the beer over here is rotten, I don't never drink it I hate to drink the water, but you have to drink something, I don't know what you will do when you come over, if you do, We drink water most of the time but it is fierce...

I am getting some boxes broken up this A. M and am going to have some wood up in my room so I can have a fire in my fire place. My Grace coal is scarce over here, I wish I could tell you about all the stunts they do, to get coal. lots of it here but most of if for the military + to finish the Hun...

Lots of Love and kisses

From You

Will








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 17-18, 1919

February 15, 1919

September 1, 1918