September 13-14, 1918

Excerpts from September 13-14, 1918:


My Dear Grace -

Well I have been to Paris and am now back again, and believe me I am glad to get back, just like coming home, after being away for a couple of weeks, I left last Tuesday night, could not go on the fast train which leaves here at 5: o'clock and gets to Paris at 9:30, but had to take the slow one left here at 9- arrives in paris the next A.M about 5:30, and its not a sleep either, but I rolled up on a seat and had a pretty good nights rest altho as soon as I got to the hotel I took a nap for a couple of hours then I went to Headquarters and was there, transacting business untill noon, Called up Joe, but could not get him took a taxie and drove out there about 2:30, he has charge of one of the wards in a hospital, clear up on the top floor, Well Grace it was worth the trip to see the poor kid, he was tickled to death to see me, and I was sure glad to see him He looks quite a little older than when I saw him last, but he was looking well and I think quite a lot heavier, as he was busy We arranged with the Captain for him to meet me down town at 5: o'clock, I went over to Napoileans tomb and took in the sights until 5: o'clock...

Grace, I could never tell you about Paris, it is just wonderful, the gowns, & furs, hats & etc. New York to Paris is just like Suttons Bay to T.C. such taste, style, material... I guess they are right when they say there is one one Paree.

Went to a show in the evening, amphitheater, swell affair, four good American acts, later French, but all good, went with Y.MC.A man I have met here in Havre, Sept. 14/xx left at 7:30 in the A.M, arrived here about noon, and was sure glad to get back...

Now dearie, just get this, No on knows in this world better than I do, how you have suffered, pat knows, but not like I do as I know how hard you tried, it wasn't only for you, it was for me, I knew then as I know now, it was for me, you were willing to even die, I guess, If I had not called a halt, so don't think for a minute desire, that I don't realize all you have went thro', I am sorry if I said any thing to harry, that he should of said any thing to you, I told him that he should be very happy or something like that to have a baby that it was one of the big things in life that, I did not have, But h Grace, you should not take offense to him, he does not know any better than to says something and I am sure if he knew as I know he would cut his hand off rather than say any thing to hurt your feelings...

Our boys are certainly doing business now, It makes one proud to be an American, I only wish I was up there with them,...

I hope you do get the houses rented before you go, because we will need the money when I get home as we are going to, buy a new car take a trip and learn to love each other so that we will never say any thing to each other that will hurt...

Love Love

Will

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 17-18, 1919

February 15, 1919

September 1, 1918