September 22, 1918

Excerpts from September 22, 1918:


My Dear Grace –

Rec’d letters yesterday one of July 29 and one of Aug 13th, both just dandy letters but you see dear they come stringing along in, I have all ready had a letter dated Aug 23d so you might ask questions and It would be no use of my answering them

This is Sunday morning, and it is raining to beat the band, I don’t see why any one should push the button on Sunday A. M. do you, I was just figuring on taking a nice long walk out in the country to-day as we will not get many more Sundays this fall. that we can get out in the country

I am at the office writeing and I did want to read your letters again before I wrote but they are in the room. I got the pictures and they are just great, the one of you with the paddle, my you are looking good, in fact I should say swell, I’ll say this, that I haven’t seen any French girl over here that can hold a candle to you, and believe me there are some swell lookers here too, The picture of Mable Maude and Ruth is very good I am going to write Maude and tell here I think she looks real nifty in her bathing suit, Ruths picture is fine, and then old County in the other pictures I shure was glad to get them, you couldn’t of send me any thing dear; that would of pleased me more than those pictures, You must be quite a little heavier than when I went away aren’t you?

You asked about the French cooking, well in the morning Pat and I go down to headquarters where we have Mess for about 14 of us, and we have a French Madam who takes care of the house and get us breakfast, We always have the same thing for breakfast, that is Chocolate or Coffee, Toast Bread + Butter and Jame, and such Jam. old Eng. Jam, I shure do enjoy those breakfasts with the boys, they are a fine bunch of fellows, and you get a right start for the day

Then at noon we have lunch at the “Pretty Hotel” 4 courses Eggs, Meat, Salad, Desert, and for dinner 5 or six courses, Salad, Soup, fish, Meat, cheese, Desert, Coffee, or what every you want, now they use about ten plates to a person, and its that way all voer, soon as you can eat a little of this, bing, in comes a clean plate and you dirty that up and then in comes another and so on, they use about 5 or six times as many dishes as we do, But we enjoy it there very much it is rather quiet, and the cooking is good, of corse it is French Grace and it tasts all to-geather difft it is seasoned different, But they shure do know how to cook, Olive oil is used a great deal, and Eggs, meat, fish, salads, all have, some kind of a different dressing every day. it all has a peculiar taste, but it is fine food, and I don’t mind saying that we feel very fortunate in getting meals like we get over here, This salt air gives one an appetite, and I am hungry every time it comes time to eat. But I do not thing I am gaining any in weight…

So you got the car fixe for $57.00 well I hope you get it stored while it is all right, sell it if you can, you are the boss.

I had a pleasant experience yesterday, I have bumped my head on a window, going up to my room several times, and yesterday I hit it an awful crack I was so D – made I give it a slam and broke it all to pieces, it was one of those stained glass affairs like they have in a church at home, well out came the old lady and the old man, I talked in perfectly plain English and they jabbering away in French my head hurt so I didn’t care what they said, But I would just like to bet, that it is not left like that again. you know glass in France is like beer in T.C hard to get, we bought a wind shied the other day for one of the cars and it cost $19.75 according to that this window will cost somebody, and it wont be me about $100.00, I told that I would sue them for damages, I don’t know wheather they understood it or not.

I am so glad you sent the pictures dear, and I love you more every day.

Will

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 17-18, 1919

February 15, 1919

September 1, 1918