November 29, 1918

Excerpts from November 29, 1918


My Dear Grace -

Am going to steal a few minutes and write to you, seems as if I don't get time to write any one but you I owe so many letter, I am going to send all I owe just a card with my picture

Yesterday was Thanksgiving, I took the Ford. as we did not intend to work and started with a load of Choc. Cigrettes, Cigars + etc for Etretat which is about 18 mi north of here, as you will notice if you have a map of France was going o take it up to one of our Y. Huts

I guess I had to big a load for the tires as I had one - H of a time, had to blow outs, and in mud, raining to beat the band, didn't get back untill nearly three o'clock. But i have "thanks'" that I got back at all, just had time to put on my new uniform and go get my picture taken before dark. Then Pat and I lay around in the room, untill the other fellows came up and then we had our Thanksgiving dinner, there was twelve of us, at the hotel, and we had a regular dinner, Chicken, Pumpkin pie, + etc, I guess that is the first Thanksgiving that I was every away from home, But we have a lot to be thankful for at that this year That the war is over and we are both alive, then I got a letter from you too and such a grand letter, I am just like you, I can't hardly wait untill the letters get here. after dinner we went to a picture show. there was a big dance, but I didn't care about going,...

Pat rec'd a letter from Fred Curtis to-day and he said that Harry Holliday is dead, I am awful sorry to hear that, as I had got to like him very much, in the short time I was with him in Chicago, at the Worlds series last year. I understand he was at Nantes in a hospital, I intended to go and see him when I went to Nice, but it was quite a long ways the other way, so I did not go. Joe Nelson told me he tho't he was a lot better, i hope it is not true...

I am to have a new 1 1/2 ton truck next week and believe me we need it, the man has gone to Paris after it...

This will no doubt get there before Xmas but, I will wish you a Merry Xmas now any way, so write as often as you can and don't work to hard

With lots of love -

Will






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 17-18, 1919

February 15, 1919

September 1, 1918