April 26-May 11, 1918

Excerpts from letters written at sea, April 26-May 11, 1918:


My Dear Grace -

We left the US. yesterday and are in convoy, are on a fairly good sized boy, Sorry I did not have time to see Florence. In my rush to get ready, I slammed the door a taxi and broke the glass the driver tried to string me $3.00 I offered him a $1, he said he would call a cop, well in got the cop and I paid $1, they don't string me if I can help it...

I have the soft side of a settee to sleep on, but had a good night rest. Ralph is in the next state room and also has a settle to sleep on there are 2 births and 2 sette in a state room.

This is a beautiful day, you would not think you were out on the ocean by the size of the waves

We had drill at 3: P.M my boat is No 4 and so is Ralphs, and believe me if anything happens I will be right there when the bell rings all rigged out, two ladies are in our boat...

I have my pockets full of English French and American money, don't know whether I got stung or not. will figure it up in a few days...

April 27-

...I am quite lucky in my room mates they like to sleep in the A.M so we don't get up untill about 8. Am.M. at 11: o'clock we take French lesson, at 3 we have a lecture on Europe, the war, history, customers of the country + etc... at 8 Social hour. Entertainment + etc at 9 Religious services a good night + etc. Last night we sang hymns it certainly is great 150 fellows most all extra good singers, and Dr Rusk gave such a fine talk, about leaving our loved ones the process our minds went thro before we went into this great work and that we were in the Lords care...

We have plenty of games to play on deck also cards, chickers + etc, this is Sat about 2 P.M you should know by this time that I have left US and are on our way

One or two of the boys have been sea sick to-day, but not bad as the weather continues fair and we are now in the gulf stream

I feel grace it is you that is sacrificing the most, it is harder for you than for me, and I think of you all the time...

Sunday night April 28

Found out to-day that all I had written you before would not get past the censor, that is parts of it, so I rewrote my first two days, will try and do better after this, every one was in the same fix...

I just learned we are awful short on paper so I will have to write real small there are lots of Masons on this boat I should think this half of them are Masons

April 29 - 1918

Well we are getting a touch of real weather to-day, it is a near clear day but a little rough quite a few are under the weather, but the big majority are all O.K.

We have real good feeds yesterday for dinner "Sunday" Roast Weal - Roast Duck, Soup Fish Apples Coffee + English pudding served four courses.

The boys here come from every state in the Union, just at our table there are 26 different states represented Ministers are in the Majority, or perhaps fisical directors, Auto-men, men from every walk of life but most all are college graduates, most of this bunch have been to Princeton for 2 or three weeks preparing for their duties in France - England, Italy or the Porcheguese Army. I have a list of all the fellows their names when they go and where they came from...

April 30 -
Had quite a rough night but, I am feeling fine, Ralph and I have just been in quite a strenuous game on deck. thot I would drop you a few lines, the lecture to-day was on Military Etiquette, saluting + etc...

May 1st 1918

...quite a bad roll all night long, but haven't been sea sick yet, pat was up at 6:30 as usual says he saw a whale, I guess he did as several others say the same thing...

Ralph and I have volunteered to go down ropes, into our boats, half go in boat half go down ropes. We are drilling on the boat stuff a little harder each day.

May 2 - 1918

We had a extra fine entertainment last night, a great man of the people on this boat are entertainers going across for that purpose and they are good, we have an entertainment every night, there are about 18 or 20 ladies in the party an they are all entertainers

Saw 2 whale yesterday, nice large ones, raining this morning, just cleaned our our rooms, (after dinner) Pat and I have just been down in the hole of the boat, the steward gave us a couple of apples, believe me they were certainly good, think we are going to have chicken for supper, But its not like you get at home, the cooking doesn't taste just right... it has been just one week since we left U.S.A and it seems like a Month...

May 3 - 1918

...Ralph gave me a pair of his heavy sox, and I gave him a pair of mine also a pair of restless but now I have one pair of sox that are real heavy.

I bought me a regular Medicine kit and it has come quite handy so far altho we have several Doctors on board, you know this is the first Y.M.C.A. boat that has ever went over, exclusively for the Y.M.C.A. Pat, and I have quite a little shopping to do at our first seaport, have a list all made out

May 4th

Grace after going to so many lectures & sermons, I believe I have made a change, that is a branching off place in my life, I hope to be worthy of the Y.M.C.A uniform, I will say that I feel to-day more worth of wearing that Y.MCA uniform than any time since I started in this great work, for it is a great work, it takes big men as I find the more I get into it I only hope that I will be big enough to fill my place with credit to my God to my country and to you...

May 5th

Have been thinking of home and you all day to-day. Sunday is the day that I always had a grouch on isn't it...

Say Grace I wish you would not let any one read my letters, they are just for you, and I guess the censors, Ha Ha!

May 6th

Another fine day, we have certainly had fine weather on this trip, Was way up on the top deck with Ralph all the morning, did not go to lunch, as I am pretty well fed up, But think I will be able to eat a good dinner

Saw another whale yesterday, He came right near the boat and Ralph was nearly on top of him he tho't it was a sub.

Well Dearie how are you, how is the garden, the chickens, how many eggs now, have you got a hen sitting? How is my good friend Count, and Snowball, Have Louis keep the car in shape for you, did you get the rents all collected, and pay for the papering and how much was it?

May 7th 1918

...Just came from the last lecture we will have on the ship, Explaining English money also telling us our duties as secretaries of the Y.M.C.A., It is hard to realize all that you are expected to do and it will take regular guys, You are expected to be braved or as brave as the soldier and show our example to him every minute of your life, In fact every one should be a a very strong christian... We do not even dare to drink any kind of French wine, play cards, in fact it is the straight life, and I am going to play the game to the last lick there is in me, it will not be me to bring discredit on the Y.M.C.A. if I can help it. How would you like to see me teaching a bible class?

May 9th 1918

Did not write to you yesterday first day I have missed since I left home, but there was nothing new...

long before you get this letter you will know whether I am all right or not...

Three weeks to-day since I saw you seems like three months, so much has happened...

If you have another picture taken send it to me

May 10th 1918


...Had a fine entertainment last night but nothing doing to-day, also had a boxing match, "nailing boxes" and wrestling match to-day, but most of the time we were looking for whales

I understand when we get to Eng. that Butter is very short, also wheat flour, You know Grace there is more wheat flour used in Michigan than any place we were at in the U.S.

May 11th 1918

...Took a nice salt water bath to-day nothing new has happened to tell you at this time.

Shall I send my washing home? I must have a shirt and a couple pr sox and hdkfs at the Hotel Latham in U.S. send my laundry and then did not get it before I left, perhaps they have sent it home, Have a chance to go to Italy but think I will stay with the A.E.F.

We just opened up the door between pat's state Room and ours so we are all to-gether...

You know when I get to Eng. I am going to buy myself a pickles worth of peanuts the same of candy and perhaps an orange, have a regular time and I might buy some lemonade That is as far as we can go, and woe be unto the person or persons caught, drinking a glass of wine or beer, the U.S. for him on the next boat. Well its all right with me.

Tell me all about how business is in the store, how are the Tennis Courts, how is the car running, and how are you,

Lots of Love

Will













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 17-18, 1919

February 15, 1919

September 1, 1918